The history of the royal castle in Chęciny dates back to the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. One of the most interesting attractions of the region and at the same time the symbol of Chęciny. The observation tower of the castle gives you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful landscapes of the Świętokrzyskie Mountains.
With the support of European Union funds in the years 2013-2015, revitalization works were conducted on the Castle. Currently, tourists can visit the inside of the fortress, the castle treasury and two towers from where they can admire the panorama of the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship. The royal road was also rebuilt.
The attractions of Chęciny also include:
St. Leonard’s Chapel
Chęciny Castle Boroughs
An open-air museum, i.e. the Ethnographic Park of the Kielce Village Museum is located in the village of Tokarnia near Chęciny. Its grounds include a 70-hectare elevation in the bend of the Czarna Nida River. The lay of the land on which the museum is located is physiographically very varied. It perfectly reflects the diversity of the regions of Kielce. There are preserved, most interesting and most valuable monuments of traditional rural architecture. The exhibition aims to maintain or restore the shape, climate and life of the irretrievably disappearing villages from the old days.
Holy Cross and its values
Jan Długosz, in the "Chronicles of the Famous Kingdom of Poland" wrote that Łysa Góra (Bald Mountain), next to Kalwaria and Wawel, is the most significant mountain in Poland, not due to its spectacular views, but thanks to the monastery that stands on top. The Mountain also called Łysiec or Święty Krzyż (Holy Cross) is 595 m above sea level, and it is the second-highest elevation of the Świętokrzyskie Mountains. The earliest mention of the Benedictine monastery located there derive from the 13th-century "Chronicles of Wielkopolska". The precious monuments here also include the Church of the Holy Trinity and Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the Oleśnicki Chapel. The Świętokrzyski National Park Nature Museum is located in the west wing of the former abbey. Its exhibition includes several sections presenting inanimate nature, flora and fauna of the reserve. You can reach Święty Krzyż via the Royal Route, which includes blue tourist trail from Nowa Słupia. On the route is Our Lady’s grotto, the wooden chapel of Dąbrówka and fragments of a pagan cult levee.
Raj Cave (Paradise Cave)
Raj Cave is considered to be the most beautiful cave in Poland. Its name - Raj (Paradise) is the opposite of the previously discovered poor cave located in the vicinity called Piekło (Hell). The richness and beauty of the cave lies in the fact that it contains rock formations of various, unusual shapes. The icicles hanging from the ceiling are stalactites, while the icicles growing from the bottom to the top are stalagmites.
The draperies on the walls of Raj Cave are also stalactites forming original designs. They make a great impression on tourists.
The exceptional Raj Cave was accidentally discovered in 1963 by local villagers. Two years later, in order to protect the cave from damage, its entrance was closed with a grille. Studies have been conducted in the cave which have found traces of human presence from 50-60 thousand years ago, and skeletons of animals such as the bear, bison, mammoth and musk ox. In 1972, the cave was opened to the public for tourists.
Raj Cave is open to visitors during the period from January to November, from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM, except on Mondays. You can admire it only with a guide in groups of up to 15 people.
Oblęgorek - Henryk Sienkiewicz Museum
Oblęgorek - the gift of the nation. In order to mark the 25th anniversary of Henryk Sienkiewicz's literary work, the writer was presented Oblęgorek in 1900. Contrary to the donors' original intentions, the writer continued to live in Warsaw. Oblęgorek only remained a summer residence used by Sienkiewicz himself, his family and close friends. The manor house previously owned by the famous write was turned into a museum in 1958. The museum was founded with the donation of the writer's children- Jadwiga Korniłowicz and Henryk Józef Sienkiewicz. - A virtual walk
Nagłowice - Mikołaj Rej Museum
Mikołaj Rej Museum presents the writer's bonds with Nagłowice as well as his significance for Poland;s literary heritage and culture. The museum houses the exhibition of Mikołaj Rej's life and literary achievements. The wood-engravings present fragments of the writer's works and his biography.
The show-cases display interesting texts in the form of manuscript copies, these include "Tax statement" and "A Letter to a Neighbour." - Check it out yourself
Jędrzejów - Clocks Museum
The Przypkowskis Museum of Jedrzejow is a collection of sundials, astronomical instruments and a old prints library donated by the Przypkowski family. February 3 1962 the Przypkowski family donated their collection to the state. Thus the Przypkowskis Museum of Jedrzejow was founded; its particular departments reflect the Przypkowski family's various interests. - A virtual tour over the museum
At the beginning of the fourteenth century Bodzanta - the Bishop of Krakow left the town of Tarczek, which had so far been the only seat of the Krakow Bishops on the Świętokrzyskie Region. A wooden mansion on a hill on the Psarka river was then built. The castle had been rebuilt several times. The Bodzentyn castle significance started to decline after 1642 - this is when the Kielce palace construction was finished. The Kielce residence was founded by Bishop Jakub Zadzik. In 1789 the Four-Year Sejm resolved to nationalize Episcopal real estate. The castle was converted into a granary and a military hospital. In 1814 the buildings were finally abandoned. The castle then became a free source of construction materials used by the local population. The buildings were devastated. As late as 1902 this became a listed building. The castle never returned to its former glory. Now the walls have been secured, though in ruin.
Święta Katarzyna trail
The village of Święta Katarzyna is located on the verge of the Świętokrzyskie National Park. There is a church and monastery built in the fifteenth century and then rebuilt in the following centuries. The church houses the St. Catherine statue. This is what the village takes its name after. On the Łysica trail there is a wooden chapel of St. Francis, right off the natural spring which has enclosed in a stone well. According to the local inhabitants, the spring's mineralized water is believed to have healing properties. In 1910 in Święta Katarzyna the first Swietokrzyskie tourist hostel was founded . Święta Katarzyna marks the beginning of one of the most beautiful mountain routes. This is the heart of the region; the trail goes along the main Łysogóry Ridge: Święta Katarzyna - Łysica - Saint Mikołaj Pass - Bieliny - Święty Krzyż mount. The trail is marked red.
Ujazd - the Krzyżtopór Castle
Krzysztof Ossoliński was probably inspired during to build the castle when in Italy. It took several years to complete the castle which combines the functions of a palace inside the fortified walls and a strong-hold.
The lavish palace was legendary. In the tower-room, whose ceiling was all made of glass was also an aquarium full of exotic fish. The stables were equipped with marble troughs and crystal mirrors suspended above. The castle made a huge impression on passers-by, not to mention the its guests who gad the chance to see its interior.
The city which boasts over a thousand years of history. Sandomierz is a living witness of the State and Nation history and culture. At the beginnings of the Polish state Sandomierz, next to Krakow and Wroclaw served as one of the sedes regni principales, i.e. it was the ruler's main seat. Sandomierz urban planning and architectural landscape are an inherent part of the national and European cultural heritage. A relatively small area of Sandomierz Old Town houses over 120 monuments of all styles and epochs. Sandomierz most important cultural institutions include: the District Museum in Sandomierz, Diocesan Museum, BWA Gallery, Sandomierz Cultural Centre, Public Library and Creative Work Centre. - More about Sandomierz
Wąchock - the Cistercian Monastery
The Monastery was built at the turn of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. This is one of the finest examples of Poland's Romanesque architecture. The bishop of Cracow Gedeon (Gedko) founded the abbey in 1179. Simon, an Italian architect was responsible for the design and construction. The Monastery was destroyed the Tatar invasions twice. With the monks' force of will and hard work the Monastery slowly restored its former glory. - Events in the Cistercian Monastery
Sielpia - a lagoon and recreation centre
Sielpia is a part of Końskie commune - this is a summer resort located among forests, on the picturesque Czarna river reservoir. Mushroom pickers, anglers and horse riding enthusiasts find it an excellent retreat. Clean air makes it a perfect place for those who suffer from upper respiratory tract problems.